Monday, November 12, 2007

oil spill

On Thursday, in a heavy fog, a ship grazed the bay bridge, which ripped open its fuel tank.
The early reports were that a hundred some-odd gallons of fuel oil spilled out. Later, they revealed that about 58,000 gallons came out.

Apparently fuel oil is especially bad for wildlife, because unlike crude oil, it doesn't sink, and unlike diesel, it doesn't evaporate.

On Saturday, Tuna and I walked down to a part of the San Francisco shore that was "protected" by a barrier from the spill. These photos show you just how effective that protection was.



On a happier note, I'm going back to Rhode Island on Tuesday (arriving Wednesday morning), and trying to prepare myself for a little reverse culture shock, now that I've almost gotten acclimated to San Francisco.

Looking forward to catching up with friends (dinner on Saturday, OK everyone?), and getting some more work on my house done. It won't be ready to rent yet, but I'll be able to push it along a little.
Here's a more pleasant picture of Tuna making more friends at the Alamo Square dog park.

No comments:

Post a Comment