Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Prop8 observations

Stopped by at history in the making on my commute this AM. Got to SF City Hall moments after the Supreme Court upheld Prop8 to restrict marriage.

I was surprised by how subdued the crowds were, given all the awesome organizing that happened after the vote itself in November.

It was an interesting contrast to the day that the Supreme Court decided to allow similar gender marriages about a year ago, when the crowd numbered less than a dozen. That day, I happened to be walking my dog outside the Supreme Court when that decision was made.

One quick observation: it occurred to me that this isn't really about wanting marriage - it's much more about being told that there is something specific we can't do. It's been fascinating watching queers slowly evolve towards being in favor of marriage after so many decades of resisting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment