Friday, August 17, 2007

Arcata, CA -> Oakland, CA


Started the day continuing 101 south towards the bay area, and the road continued it’s odd patchwork of four-land divided and two-lane segments. At times the road drove in between redwoods, which were majestic. I stopped a few times to wander through the woods.

Things were going along smoothly, if not quickly, when all of a sudden, I felt something crawling in my pants. Instinctively, I tried to brush it away, and it instinctively stung me. So there I was careening down a mountain road with searing agony on my inner thigh. Fortunately, I was able to pull over safely, and waited until the shock of it subsided. At first, it felt like multiple bites, so I thought it might have been a spider, but when I got a chance to look things over, if was clear it was a single sting, probably a bee. But whatever it was was long gone by the time I got my pants off.

After a full day’s driving, I eventually wound down the road all the way to Marin, then over the Golden Gate bridge into San Francisco. People were rushing past me in the truck, but I felt like if I went any faster at all, I would wreck the thing. Very un-nerving having people zipping past. I rushed into the place I’ll be staying on Market Street to get the keys, but I can’t get the keys until tomorrow morning.

Had dinner with Rachel at Picante’s, a Mexican restaurant in Berkeley, and then booked myself into the Motel 6 at Oakland Airport. Hopefully I won’t have to see another Motel 6 for a long time. I have to say, though, finally I found one where the non-smoking room actually doesn’t smell like smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment